The Cynefin Framework can provide me a systematic approach
to my decision making. Within the Simple Framework, Snowden & Boone (2007)
discuss that within a simple framework one must sense, categorize, and respond.
Using this method will provide insight on the already “known knowns” of a
situation. I have a soldier who has a different work shift that most of our
team, the biggest concern I have is that he has to Physical Training (PT) on
his own. I will not micromanage his PT program, I do however expect that he
does it. We as a staff know that there are standards that need to be met and
maintained. If he fails however, that is a reflection on me more importantly
himself and puts his livelihood in jeopardy. In simple framework of (sense), my
soldier is kind of not the best shape in the world and his work schedule
prevents me from monitoring. Then to categorize, trusting that he will make the
right decisions to PT on own. Finally respond, if he was to fail his PT test
then I will have to make the decision of counseling him and giving his warning
of potentially being let go.
In the complicated framework I can use is sense, analyze,
and respond. If a certain situation came about where I would need additional
outside help then I will analyze that requirement. If I was to run into that
personnel issue of my soldier failing his PT test with red tape all over the
matter (i.e. chances at a retake, physical profile, etc.) I will have to seek more guidance from my personnel
officer and human resource department on what I can and cannot do as a
disciplinary decision not to exclude the recommendations by others who have
been in my position before. Snowden & Boone (2007) stated “a leader must
listen to the experts while simultaneously welcoming novel thoughts and
solutions from others.” This can facilitate my decision making by understanding
the
The Complex framework is probe, sense, and respond. Within
this framework it easily will make a difficult conflict understood while
looking for an answer moving forward. We know there is one answer, but it will
be quite difficult to find all at once. This will framework as stated by
Snowden (2010) the “reaction to a crisis is to get lots of different people together
from lots of different backgrounds in a desperate hope that somebody will come
up with the right solution.” Such as me just coming from my conference in D.C.
where all my counterparts who play the same role as me from the other 53 states
and territories can provide insight to a question about my program that no one
(to include myself) can figure out at my level. It helps bring different
insights or ideas on how certain situations can be handled based off their
backgrounds and experience.
The chaotic framework is to act, sense, and respond. This
framework can tie into the complacency of a simple framework into what Snowden
(2010) stated as a “cliff” or symbolic “wave.” Where we start to believe that
everything is simple and fail to realize value and limitations of good practice
will definitely fall into the pit of a chaotic framework. This would provide an
understanding that I have to act and respond to a situation where what works is
best (at that moment in time) rather than finding the right answers. If a leader was to experience a chaotic framework with the constant practice of simple framework decisions, it will lead to even bigger issues moving forward.
References:
Snowden, D. J., (2010). The Cynefin Framework.
YouTube. Accessed 2017 February 28. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7oz366X0
Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (2007). A Leader's
Framework for Decision Making. (cover story). Harvard
Business Review, 85(11), 68-76.
No comments:
Post a Comment