Saturday, 25 February 2017

A632.7.3.RB - Collaborative Decision Making

A632.7.3.RB_Manglona_Matthew-Napu_Collaborative Decision Making

To reflect on a situation where collaboration was essential to achieving a resolution was when I was faced with the decision of hiring an individual for my program. I was the President of the interviewing board along with a panel of four other individuals. Levine (2009) discussed that in order to to have a more productive and satisfying relationship is to begin all collaborations with an agreement for results in the beginning of the initial meet and greet within a group. (p.164) The five of us all knew each other prior to us being compiled together as a board for this new job position that was announced and we knew what the task, conditions, and standards were base off policy and operating procedures for the hiring process. The criteria for the interviewees were laid out in a check list and scoring sheet. We came to an agreement that we will choose the best qualifying candidate and focus on three important criteria which was their work experience, former evaluation reports (Army document), and their potential.

The interviews were completed and we narrowed down our decision to two candidates. It was quite difficult to choose between the two because you had one who was fully qualified with experience, evaluation reports were fair, and potential was fair as well. Then we had the other candidate with fair experience, but very high ratings with his evaluation reports and his potential. Me personally, I wanted to make the decision of hiring the one with high ratings in potential and his evaluation reports. Because in my opinion, it would be easy for the individual to catch up on the experience part. That is where the conflict came to life, the other board members did not agree with myself and one other in the hiring of the individual discussed. They were solely focused on the criteria that was given by the policy and score sheets for the hiring process. After a day of deliberation, we eventually became at a stale mate, which left the ultimate decision to myself. I always believed in progression, the future, and what is best for my organization. I ended up choosing the individual who I thought was the right one from the beginning.

This caused conflict within the ranks and was challenged by the other board members and brought all the way up to our Adjutant General for further review. The review was overturned and the justification of preventing an Inspector General investigation was imminent. The ultimate vision as stated earlier was to pick who was best for the organization. The other board members or (stakeholders) simply explained their roles on overturning my decision. Ultimately at the end it was for the best (although it took a while for it to sink in).

Five ways I believe that the stakeholders involvement (if collaborated in the first place) would be for effective decision making would be Efficiency, openness, trust (performance agreements), articulating a vision together, and establish clear conditions of satisfaction as a team, (Levine, 2009) Having efficiency with the stakeholders provides a workable agreement and creating a shared vision. Then there is openness, if all of us are open to each other’s understanding of what we saw as the right choice moving forward we probably would not have had any issues. Trust goes hand in hand with being open to each other and ensuring that the decisions being made although we disagree, the trust that the decision being made will be for the best in our organization. Then finally establishing clear conditions of satisfaction as a team, which simply put, at the end of the day we compromise and come up with a solution for the betterment of the organization.

For me personally, I did not achieve my objective, as stated earlier I wanted the individual to prove we can in fact change the culture of the more experienced worker with the more potential based worker with a better work output for the organization. However, the “right” way had to be implemented and the other person was chosen. Looking back at it, I do not think there was anyone other than the board members who can influence the decision, I mean we did get our Adjutant General involved, but it was inevitable.

If there were three ways I can use this as a tool for making decisions in the future I simply would as Levine (2009) discussed as having an intent and vision. In any interview board in the future I would lay down the intent and vision to include input from the other stakeholders (board members). (p. 169) the second would be to establish a renegotiation term if any decisions were not in concurrence. Simply put to come to a compromise within the board. (p. 164) then finally coming down to an Agreement, if we as a team could come to an agreement without any outside interference or recommendations I believe things would run and be conducted in a much smoother practice compared to getting those who are above us involved.

Reference:

Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: Turning conflict into collaboration. San Francisco: Barrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment