Sunday, 12 February 2017

A632.5.5.RB - Protected Values in Decision Making

A632.5.5.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Protected Values in Decision Making

Going back to my reflection blog my protected values were protecting my homeland, protecting myself, family, and home in regards to the castle law doctrine. Then finally having the ability to vote for the President of the United States. I am willing to do what I feel is right, so when asked how far I will go to support my values? I would go so long as I can, and continue to serve in a capacity of making a difference (my current position in the military). Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, (2001) stated “people who endorse PVs violate them in their behavior, but these violations do no imply that the values are irrelevant for social policy.” (p.2680) Reflecting on these protected values I believe that protecting my homeland is the most crucial out of all of them. The reason being is that we have been colonialized since our existence and we never really had say in our development as a people. Gilbert (2005) stated “they always think now is better than later.” I look at this statement and try to look beyond the now, and look toward the future. I want my kids to understand their culture, respect it, and embrace it. Then again we need a home to establish this vision but we are being stripped of our land as years go by.

The second value is being allowed to vote for the President of the United States. We have been fighting for this opportunity before I was even born. I hold this dear to my heart because I serve in the military, I have been deployed overseas in a combat environment protecting our nation. Yet, me and my people still have not gained the right to vote. I will support this process so long as I continue to serve in the military and beyond. Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, (2001) discussed that people may deliberately abandon their values because of the poor thought process and they have yet to be put to the test.” (p. 2684) We have been pushing the bill through Congress and the Senate, but up to now no prevail. I understand we are a territory of the U.S. but we should be able to be given the opportunity to vote, no matter how small our population is or how far our territory is from the mainland U.S.

The third value is the castle law doctrine and being able to protect my family and property is a value that really sticks with me. I guess because of my profession, what I have seen, and what I have experienced I would always want to protect my family with no repercussion. I never possessed a gun until my parent’s house was broken into. Gilbert (2005) stated “People have a lot of trouble making decisions about things that will happen at different points in time.” I did not know what to do, until I helped vote for the law on my island and things just took off from there.

The couple of protected values I have shared will only influence my decision making if progress is being made. What I mean by that is moving forward with my values and hoping to make changes within at least the first two I discussed.  Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, (2001) discussed that behavior and values may conflict. (p. 2596) In some sort of way it is bound to happen when emotions and other factors come into play, but I guess it comes down to the individual and their actual beliefs moving forward with their values.



Hoch, S. J., Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on Making Bad Decisions. Hoboken: John Wiley and Sons Inc.

Gilbert, Dan (2005). Why we make bad decisions. Retrieved from: http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_researches_happiness 

No comments:

Post a Comment