Sunday, 19 February 2017

A632.6.3.RB - The High Cost of Conflict

A632.6.3.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_The High Cost of Conflict

Levine (2009) discusses the cost of conflict in four different ways, which are direct, productivity, continuity, and emotional cost. (p. 16) the cost of conflict I experienced falls in the realm of productivity cost. Which Levine (2009) stated as “a value of lost time. The opportunity cost of what those involved would otherwise be producing.” (p.16) I remember getting into power struggle with one of my peers during a mission that was deemed critical, the flawless execution of the task would have definitely set my soldiers up for an award that has never been accomplished or received before by a Guam Guardsman. He was in partnership with me and my Platoon and he fell under me (although the same rank) to augment my guys for his future assignment moving forward. I gave my guidance on to how I wanted to accomplish my tasks but he directly intervened wanting to things his way, which to me was not going to happen. He was a guest in my eyes. So we had half the day to plan but was wasted and that half day (more life a full day) of arguing was irrelevant because he felt that my planning was not sufficient to “his” standards. He even threatened me on reporting to our commander about my plans and behavior. This was a waste of both of our times because the plan was set and approved but he wanted to do things his way.

This issue eventually cost more problems as Levine (2009) discussed as the opportunity cost. If we were to shift our focus as a collaborative team, let alone realized that the soldier’s time was being wasted with us arguing, I think we would have had better results. Due to the arguments and stale mate in finding solutions, we missed the opportunity to accomplish our tasks and we failed to me our goal in achieving the event’s overall intent which was receiving the prestigious award that never has been done before. Levine (2009) discusses the 10 principles of new thinking (p.46) I believe if I was to have this or learned this concept I think things would have been a little different. During that time I was a young hot-headed Lieutenant and wanted to accomplish things on my own. However, if I was to go in there with an open mind as Levine (2009) stated “Being open is not being weak. Being open is being your real authentic self. Getting beyond your initial resistance.” (p.72) which falls in line of the 5th Principle of Being Open. I should have been opened to suggestions and hear what my peer had to say, maybe even come to a compromise, because when I look back at it, it may have helped me and my soldiers out in the long run.

Then thinking about the 9th principle of Learning throughout the resolution process (Levine, 2009) where I could have listened and be able to learn at the same time. Being an open book or sponge and absorbing the information being given. I should not have been so defensive at the time. Levine (2009) stated “Learning is a useful way to get rid of the ego-based ideas of winning, being right, fixing blame, or doing it the “right” way.” (p.97) If this concept was used I would have been able to at least come to a compromise if I felt that my plan was solid, but still welcome outside perspective, I would have saved time and probably raised my probability of winning the award anyway.

With these two principles this could have shaped things into becoming successful for parties. That’s my counterpart, my soldiers, and myself. Time was dearly wasted on how we were going to execute our plan, most of all because of the opportunity of solidifying a plan drastically disappeared our soldiers were the ones who felt the biggest hurt in all this. What I learned from this exercise is to simply take a step back and analyzed your surroundings. Know your internal and external conflicts to achieve true success. We cannot ignore that we will experience conflicts on the way no matter what, it’s just how we cope with the conflicts that we become better at what we do. I actually will use these principles and hang it in my office for future use.


References:

Levine, S. (2009). Getting to resolution: turning conflict into collaboration. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler.

No comments:

Post a Comment