Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther (2001) discuss three ways to
taking charge of our frames in which helps me avoid the framing traps that
occur when dealing with frames in my organization. 1). simply having a frame
audit. Simply put, is to ensure that you are open to all frames or options
presented by yourself, your organization, and outside influences that push your
decision making. (p. 1553) An example would be is the program that I run is
solely based off the budget that we receive every fiscal year. With the
constrictions that we experience we have to tie our agenda that with our
organization. So that initiates me and my staff to understand the objectives of
my organization with what we have, to ensure we meet the same intent of which
is tasked down to us.
Although mission sets are different by each program the
overall objective to expand and to continue the prosperity of each program is
priority number 1. 2). Is to surface your frames, to literally put your frames
on a board to ensure that one is following the objective set by the frames so
that you may be able to see it visibly and look at it to keep oneself in. My program and I in this case put our
objectives on a board and ensure that we subtask or break it down by phases to
ensure that we accomplish our objectives. 3). To understand the frames of
others. Be open and flexible with what others present in their agenda to success
for the organization as a whole. Understand that effective communication is the
core to ensure a collaborative approach with other frames. I always try to sync
my agenda of where I want my program to go with my supervisor. There may be a
bigger mission set that me and my staff have to follow and may veer off the
overall intentions of how “I” want things ran, but I ensure that we sync and
jive our agenda with our other counterparts within our organization. Of course
there will be friction and disconnect in communication, however, with great
interpersonal skills will one be able to sync their agendas for the better. (p.
1560).
Each frame plays a close tie to one another and most
importantly they complement each other. This exercise has taught me that to be
open and remember there are multiple avenues of approach to accomplish a task
or tasks for success. I always will remember that just because an objective is
set out, that is just a sub part of the overall objective set out by the
organization. If I ever sit in the director seat of my organization I may then
understand the concept of a general sense objective for the subordinate departments
to follow suit but to also incorporate their frame objectives to follow.
Additional tools that would help me through this process is
to what Hoch, Kunreuther & Gunther (2001) discuss as identifying all constraints
and to get other views. When I identify what is restricting me into my decision
making I am able to take a step back, re-evaluate, and attack with a better
thought process moving forward. When I get the view of others it paints a
bigger picture to the multiple objectives at hand. When there are issues I always
seek recommendations to ensure I have a better thought process when it comes to
my decisions.
What I have learned from this exercise is that although a
plan for the forward progress of the organization is in place there is always
room for improvement. I learned to never truly rely on your decisions that make
you think “what if?” or “what could be.” Put it up on a wall and paint the
picture and understand the second, third order of affects. When one understands
this process, they will be able to make effective decisions.
Reference:
Hoch, S. J., & Kunreuther, H. C. (2005). Wharton on
making decisions. (1st edition.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment